OAO has two main purposes, Education and Advocacy:
- EDUCATION – OAO puts on an annual Post Graduate Convention in Oregon that provides an opportunity to earn CME credits while learning about the latest innovations in ophthalmology. We also plan a corresponding meeting for ophthalmic techs.
- ADVOCACY – We work closely with other physician organizations, AAO and state legislators to protect patient access to essential medical care, fight scope of practice battles and protect your ability to practice. Board members receive a monthly legislative update.
Benefits of OAO Membership
Legislative Advocacy: The OAO Legislative Committee, AAO Councilor, OMA Delegate, and our registered lobbyists, represent the Academy’s concerns before public bodies whose decisions affect the profession. Recent accomplishments include:
- Defeated HB 2541 – the bill that would have increased an optometrist’s scope of practice to include laser and other surgical procedures!!
- Carefully negotiated an optometrist telemedicine bill to ensure that it did not impact ophthalmologist practices.
- Defeated the trial lawyers attempt to increase the cap on non-economic damages, which would have increased medical malpractice rates.
- Secured a line-item veto on a $5M sweep of the Oregon Medical Board’s rainy day fund, which would have resulted in higher licensing fees for all physicians.
- Supported a coalition effort to make prior authorization more fair, transparent and efficient for patients and providers.
- Currently fighting for tax relief and limited liability protections for physicians whose practice and regular standard of care have been impacted by COVID-19 and subsequent emergency orders.
Social Media: OAO maintains a Facebook page and uses the tool to interact with Legislators and the public, and promote Academy events: www.facebook.com/OREyeDocs.
Coding: OAO provides an annual coding conference, Codequest, for you and your staff through AAO. Coding Consulting Services are offered at no charge to members through the Casey Eye Institute. Email your coding questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resident/Fellow Mentor Dinners: OAO hosts Resident/Fellow Mentor dinners, sponsored by member practices, to allow ophthalmology residents an opportunity to learn from practicing physicians. You are invited to attend every dinner.
Annual Membership Dues
- 1st Year of Membership – $292.50
- 2nd Year of Membership – $435
- All Other Years/Renewing Members – $585
- Residents – $0
Click here to complete the membership application.